Our farm and self catering accommodation is set in an exceptionally peaceful location of the Peak District having recently converted a traditional stone barn into two high quality cottages and a camping barn. It is situated at the end of the Back of Ecton no through road, 2 miles from the Manifold Inn at Hulme End.
White Park sleeps up to 6 adults in 3 double bedrooms, one of these being on the ground floor with a large ensuite wetroom.
Swaledale sleeps up to 6 people on the first floor in a spacious family room and a double bedroom. There is a separate large wetroom on the ground floor.
The ground floor of both cottages are open plan incorporating the kitchen, dining and lounge areas with a further bathroom on the first floor including a ‘P’ bath/shower. There is underfloor heating throughout.
The Camping barn includes a large wetroom along with an equipped kitchen on the ground floor with the sleeping quarters being on the first floor.
If you require this information in any other format, have any queries or need further assistance please contact us on 01298 687178 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-Arrival – Travel
- Full information about the farm, cottages and location is available on our website www.broadectonfarm.co.uk.
- Directions and map of the location. The cottages are accessed on a farm track uneven in places. all parking areas have even surfaces leading to the cottage entrances.
- Bookings and enquiries can be made via email, telephone on 01298 687178 or through our website.
- The nearest bus stop is at the Manifold inn at Hulme End and is on the regular bus routes that connect Ashbourne, Leek and Buxton.
- The nearest train station is at Buxton which has regular connections with Manchester. And Cromford which has regular connections with Derby.
- A local taxi service is available. Burgess hire 01298 84931 or 07874292930.
Pre-Arrival – Self Catering
- A welcome pack of tea, coffee, milk etc. will await you on arrival.
- The nearest main towns of Ashbourne, Leek and Buxton contain at least 2 or more of the major supermarket chains all within a 10 mile drive.
Pre-Arrival – Activities
- The farm is located on the crossroads for a number of popular footpaths and is ideal for walking and cycling enthusiasts.
- Other activities are reached within a short drive and the Peak District website can help you plan in advance to make the most of your holiday.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- Keys can be collected from the farm house which is located at the head of the farm track on arrival. If you are unable to come to the office we will always welcome you and accompany to the entrance of your cottage.
- Parking is available for at least two cars per cottage being some 20 meters from the entrance. It has a flat limestone grit surface with a gradual sloping path the the entrance.
- The area is well lit at night with motion sensors and for added security is monitored 24 hours by CCTV.
- Click here to see a floor plan for the cottages
Entrance to The Cottages
- From the car park there is discreet lighting activated by motion sensors leading to the front door for both cottages with internal lighting being activated on entering.
- There is a joint level entrance to the cottages into a lobby/boots/coats off area, with each cottage having its own internal front door.
- The cottage key will open all applicable doors whilst maintaining your own personal security.
- White Park entrance (900mm wide) is up 2 small steps into the open plan lounge, dining and kitchen ground floor area.
- Swaledale entrance (900mm wide) is level throughout into the kitchen, dining lounge area.
- Both cottages have further exits to the front and rear.
- Floor covering inside each cottage is limestone flags on the ground floor and oak floor boarding on the first floor. The stairs have a short pile carpet and the upstairs bathrooms have a heavy duty non-slip vinyl floor fitted.
- Floor colouring is light and speckled with fossils on the ground floor and light oak on the first floor. the walls and ceilings are light off white throughout with original oak beams providing a contrast as appropriate.
Inside the Cottages
- Smoke and heat detector alarms are fitted throughout with emergency exit lighting.
- The Ground floor is level, spacious and open plan with all furniture capable of being easily moved.
- Kitchens are fully equipped with work surfaces being 900mm high, include A or A+ rated fridge, freezer, dishwasher, single oven with door opening handle being 750mm above the floor, induction hob incorporated into the work surface (Please be aware that persons fitted with a pacemaker should not stand to close to induction hobs when in operation), microwave, cordless kettle and toaster. Also a one and half bowl stainless steel sink with mono lever tap. Cupboard storage is both wall and under work surface, this can be adjusted to suit.
- Each include a television LED 40 inch flat screens wall mounted, 3 comfortable sofas with arms and non feather cushions, solid oak TV cabinet, nest of 3 coffee tables, solid oak dining table and six chairs.
- Lighting is provided throughout by excellent natural daylight, windows on both the front and back walls, then by spot lights in the kitchen areas and wall lights elsewhere with further mood lighting available with table lamps.
- Each wetroom is fully tiled including non-slip floor quarry tiles. Lever taps on the wash basin, walk in step free shower with privacy curtain. Well lit with spot lighting and a flourescent light over the mirror, including a shaver point. The toilet is 450mm high. Large heated fixed towel rail.
- White Park has a downstairs double bedroom entrance up 2 small steps from the kitchen area also with a separate level outside entrance accessible for wheel chair users. This contains an antique brass king size bed.
- Stairs are fully carpeted and 900mm wide with banister rails.
- The first floor White Park bedrooms are both double, one has a single stone step to the entrance. One contains a king size divan bed with the other a zip and link super king size divan bed which can be split into 2 three foot single divan beds.
- Swaledale bedrooms are all on the first floor, the family room contains a zip and link super king size divan and a three foot single guest bed with a pull out single bed underneath. The double bedroom contains a king size divan bed.
- All bedrooms have bedside tables with lamps, a chest of drawers and wardrobe hanging. The height of all the beds from the floor to the top of the mattress is 600mm. All bed linen, quilts and pillows are allergy free.
- The first floor step free level bathrooms each contain a ‘P’ bath/shower with screen, wash basin 800mm high, toilet 400mm high, heated towel rails thermostatically controlled, wall lighting and shaver point with non slip vinyl flooring.
- We have provided a joint use facility for the cottages the double barn door entrance is located 10 meters from the Cottage entrance with access gained using the same cottage entrance key. It has full under floor heating with coat hanging and storage available.
- There are standard A+ rated washing machine and tumble dryer available. Both are front loading. There is a single drainer sink with mono lever tap and extensive work surface 900mm high.
- Activities/Games are included within this facility, books and DVD’s.
- The fluorescent lighting is activated by motion sensors with flooring being quarry tiles.
- To the front of each cottage is a flagged patio area with a level access from each cottage and a gradual sloping access pathway (1200mm wide) linking each teir and the car park. An extensive grassed area is accessible on the other side of the sloping path.
- To the rear of each cottage is a secure large limestone gravel area with access from each cottage or from the rear through a wooden gateway. This area can be used for cycle storage etc.
- Wooden picnic benches and chairs are provided for each cottage along with gas barbecues. Guests are reminded that if not kept under supervision these could present a potential fire hazard on what is a working farm, in particular with the hay barn located next door.
- The release of chinese lanterns and fireworks is not permitted, the welfare of our livestock is paramount.
- Broad Ecton Farm is a working farm with upland sheep and rare breed cattle. It is being farmed with recognised environmental stewardship sensitive methods to encourage traditional hay meadows and pasture grazing reflecting the natural beauty of the Peak District location.
- The properties are all non-smoking throughout.
- No open fires or disposable BBQ’s are permitted. Gas BBQ’s are available on request.
- Whilst we do not take pets, assistance dogs are welcomed.
- Whilst we do not have any horses of our own we would welcome visitors who wish to bring their own horse along it can be accommodated in one of our fields for the duration of the stay. Good paths/bridle ways are readily accessible from the farm.
- Information folders are available in each cottage, produced in size 12 font, include full health and safety information along with comprehensive details of local and further afield attractions. Also interesting activities for visitors to pursue. We have assembled a detailed background on Broad Ecton Farm and of the internationally recognised historic mining activities on Ecton Hill.
- Wireless internet access is available. (up to 2mb only due to our distance from the local BT exchange)
- Mobile reception is very poor for most networks. O2 and Orange only in the vicinity of the cottages.
- BT Land line is provided in Swaledale.
- The nearest doctors surgery is in Hartington which is 5 miles away. The nearest A & E General Hospital is Stoke on Trent which is a 40 minute drive away. There is an excellent first responders and emergency helicopter response in the locality.
- The farm is located in the parish of Wetton with the local Church of England being St Mary’s in Wetton this is a 30 minute walk or 6 miles drive away.
- Your comments on your experience of accessibility prior, during and after a visit are welcomed to assist us to review and continually improve our facilities by contacting us at email@example.com.
- We aim to provide virtual tours of the cottages on the website.
- We aim to explore the possibility of providing specific activities for the disabled in particular horse riding.
- We will be joining the National Accessible Scheme to gain a rating for those people with limited mobility and hearing and visual impairments.
Contact Information: Henry & Julie Rusch
Address: Broad Ecton Farm, Back of Ecton, Wetton, Ashbourne, Staffordshire. DE6 2AJ
Telephone: 01298 687178
Mobile: 07711 477729
Grid reference: SK 10035 57517
Opening: All year round